Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

"I will not say do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."

It's been a long time since a commercially oriented film with the scale of ''King'' ended with such an enduring and heartbreaking coda: ''You can't go back. Some wounds don't heal.'' It's an epic about the price of triumph, a subversive victory itself in a large-scale pop action film.

-Elvis Mitchell's Review of The Return of the King, December 2003.

Just caught the last hour or so of ROTK, and bawled my eyes out from the moment Sam and Frodo get to the slope of Mt. Doom until the last credits. How does Peter Jackson manage to infuse such a grand-scale epic with so many minute moments of humanity? These films are such a goddamn triumph* and so re-watchable.

*(Was the "price" of that triumph, to borrow Elvis M's words, King Kong?)

Bonus: the Rohan theme mp3.

No comments:

Post a Comment