Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Roe v. Wade Turns 36

I'm not going to get into a long blog for choice because I'm busy today, but I will direct anyone who is interested in pondering this anniversary's meaning to check out the coverage at two of the places I proudly write for, RH Reality Check (here and here) and Women's eNews.

I'd also urge you to look up Reproductive Justice-- the increasingly-accepted framework for dealing with the (sadly) politicized issue of women's health. Reproductive Justice means we fight to open up choices for every woman, from the woman who wants to have a child but can't afford health insurance, to the teenager who needs birth control and sex ed, to the rape victim who asks for emergency contraception, to the woman making up her mind about an unintended pregnancy. It's the whole package.
This year begins with hope, for the first time in a long time: a pro-choice president and congress. So as I said earlier this week, let's roll up our sleeves and hold their feet to the fire. Because women cannot be equal unless we have the final say over our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment