Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lizzy's Smackdowns: The Final Results

Mr. Darcy's initial rejection wins, hands down. It is a reproof we shall never forget. I have to say that although that first proposal scene is probably the most iconic and important, I think Lizzy's verbal game is even better in the Lady Catherine confrontation. And so did some voters, but not enough!Here are the results, in order of popularity:
______
To DARCY: 'the mode of your declaration...spared me the concern which I might have felt in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentleman-like manner.''
79 (43%)
______

TO LADY CATHERINE: ``If you believed it impossible to be true, I wonder you took the trouble of coming so far.
44 (24%)
______

TO LYDIA: `I thank you for my share of the favour, but I do not particularly like your way of getting husbands.''
29 (16%)
______

TO LADY CATHERINE: ``That will make your ladyship's situation at present more pitiable; but it will have no effect on me.''
24 (13%)
______

TO COLLINS: 'You are too hasty, Sir. You forget that I have made no answer. Let me do it without farther loss of time... I am very sensible of the honour of your proposals, but it is impossible for me to do otherwise than decline them.
4 (2%)
______
TOTAL VOTES: 180

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:57 AM

    My own favorite isn't there:

    "My fingers," said Elizabeth, "do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women's do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault--because I will not take the trouble of practising. It is not that I do not believe _my_ fingers as
    capable as any other woman's of superior execution."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that one too. There are so many great lines, it's hard to pick!

    ReplyDelete