Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Great Great Day

I will resume my Wuthering Heights and book-blogging tomorrow. But today is a day to celebrate!

Four Novembers ago, my (then new) boyfriend and I were dashing through Harvard Square on our way home to NYC to vote. We picked up a pair of hawked T-shirts that said "Bush is over" on them, but we couldn't wear the shirts the next day. I'll never forget how devastated we were.  But today we're both wearing them. Finally. I will post a picture later.

After weeks, months, years of despair, being convinced that our democracy was irrevocably damaged, I've learned to hope again.

This day is obviously so much more than the end of the Bush nightmare: today symbolizes so many things. It's a new benchmark in American race relations, a new direction for the US's image abroad, and the culmination of the most positive, inclusive, wide-ranging grassroots movement in decades. I was so proud to be a part of that movement, and I'm proud to be a part of this moment.

Here are some links: 
Bruce Springsteen and the great Pete Seeger singing "This Land is Your Land."

Bruce and Pete remind me that tomorrow, it's back to work fighting for reproductive justice and education reform and peace. But the road will seem a lot less dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment