Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Best NY Times Lede Ever...

Check out this widely-circulating story about Halloween costumes. Opens so many discussions about gender roles, self-exploitation, and whatnot, but read Stephanie Rosenbloom's words for yourselves...oh and one of the revealing photos even has a "post-post feminist?" caption...adorable.

"IN her thigh-highs and ruby miniskirt, Little Red Riding Hood does not appear to be en route to her grandmother’s house. And Goldilocks, in a snug bodice and platform heels, gives the impression she has been sleeping in everyone’s bed. "

I get it! It's really an Anne-Sexton or Angela Carter-esque inversion of the fairy tale tradition in this awesome pro-female way. Wow, go you, New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment