Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sigh No More, Ladies, Sigh No More

Men were deceivers ever.

Last night my sig oth and I continued our Shakespeare kick with Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing. Emma Thompson and her former hubby really steal much of the show as unlikely lovers. But the whole cast is great, and it's just the quintessential onscreen Shakespeare comedy. People forget how close the comedies always come to tragedy, how much emotional weight can be found in their words with the right production and approach. And the gorgeous Italian setting and musical numbers are all pitch-perfect. It's a five-star production. Enjoy the song below for a taste.

3 comments:

  1. Ha, this is so weird to me because we did that bit in a completely different musical arrangment for Quire last year. It was much faster and bouncy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In high school I was in a production of Much Ado. In it they tried to do a live performance of "Sigh No More." It was an EPIC FAIL. BTW I think this is my fave Shakespeare comedy adaptation. O the days of Branagh & Thompson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this movie. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete