Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fun with Angry Letters to the NYTBR Section

  • Also, New Yorker scribe Joan Acocella wrote in to the Times--apparently not for the first time---to slam the NYTBR section for using the first names of female authors in their reviews (in this case, calling Flannery O'Connor Flannery) while they refer to male authors by their surnames. It's good to see a prestigious writer like Acocella, whom I just wrote about last week, taking down the pervasive sexism in that section.
  • Finally elsewhere in the paper of record, (h/t allofmilov) TV critic Virginia Hefferman mentions one of my favorite books, Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven in conjunction with "Big Love" which ends tomorrow. I don't agree with her analysis, but I love that she promotes the Krak!

No comments:

Post a Comment