Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Literary Ice Cream Time!

I'm a little late on this, but I had to mention it. Carolyn Kellogg reports on a Facebook petition to name a book or library-themed Ben & Jerry's flavor. She writes:


Suggestions included Gooey Decimal System (dark chocolate alphabet letters with caramel swirls in hazelnut ice cream), Rocky Read (vanilla with chocolate-covered nuts, chocolate chunks and raisins) and Sh-sh-sh-Sherbet! (either lime or chocolate/vanilla).

But, like an autodidact left free to roam the stacks, later ideas have strayed from the original to embrace anything bookish, related to authors or reading or titles.

Like Bookworms, with Gummi Worms in the ice cream, a suggestion on the Facebook page. The Judy Blume coming-of-age homage Are You There God? It's Me, Marshmallow, from the comments on Jezebel. Two from the New Yorker's Book Bench: Writer’s Block (coffee with fudge chunks and nicotine stains) and Chick Lit (fat-free peach-mango swirl with pieces of Chicklets chewing gum)....

My favorite idea so far -- for Malt Whitman, a malt ice cream with chocolate alphabet letters and two caramel and fudge swirls -- came from Arnold Carbone, Ben & Jerry's flavor guy.


I, as always, have been having a very ice-cream, fro-yo and custardy summer so this idea hits the sweet spot. Any concepts out there for fun literary flavors? Pemberley pecan?

No comments:

Post a Comment