Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Question of the Weekend: What's Your Favorite "Junk Food" Book?

(image: www.dollheads.com)

So with Angels and Demons getting expectedly pilloried in film reviews around the nation, I thought I'd open it up to my readers to ask what your favorite "candy" books are? Because just as we need to shove sugar and fat down our mouths sometimes and nothing else will do, so, too do we occasionally crave those delicious, addictive page-turners.

I think the reason people hate Dan Brown is because his books mix high and low in such a confusing way. He's neither Dean Koontz nor A.S. Byatt, but unashamedly throws a bit of everything into his winning formula(e?). But that's why I kind of have a soft spot for his place in the cultural fabric.

Anyway, I would not say Dan Brown is my favorite "light" read: I'd have to give that to the brits: Helen Fielding, Alexander McCall Smith, or--if she counts as "light"--Dame Agatha.

How about you?

6 comments:

  1. Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series. Pure cotton candy with a Scots accent. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murder mysteries. Right now? I just started on my Grand Tour of Sir Peter Wimsey novels but I also have a soft spot for Allingham and Tey.
    Also, there's a lot of novels that keep popping up up about haunted family houses in England; I Devour those. Anyone read the new Sarah Waters novel that centers on just that sort of thing? "The Little Stranger", it's called...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on Agatha Christie. I don't know if I can quite bear to call her "junk food," but she is what I read when I need a break from heavier fare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me I enjoy the True Crime books like "They Called Them Grifters" or anything on serial killers.

    I also read superhero comics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christopher Moore - Practical Demonkeeping; Island of the Sequined Love Nun; Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story - http://www.chrismoore.com/

    I see he has a new book out. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agatha Christie's are the best kind of literary junk food. Last summer I started reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich and continue to devour those from time to time.

    ReplyDelete