Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Times Gender Ratio Improves

As y'all may or may not know, I have beef with the stuffiness of the NYT Book Review. I've written a bunch about the gender imbalance and anti-feminist bias in its pages.

This year, though, I counted 33 out of their 2008 100 notable books as authored by women, with 15 out of 48 novels. And that's a definitely an improvement, if a small one (last year, only 13 of their 50 top novels were penned by ladies; that list comes later in the year I think). Of course, part of this was because so many powerhouse, un-snubbable female authors wrote books this year, from Germaine Greer and Jane Meyer to Jhumpa Lahiri, Toni Morrison, Kate Atkinson, Annie Proulx and Curtis Sittenfield. It was a banner year for prominent female writers strutting their stuff, so the Times only gets partial credit. Still, some sort of ackowledgement is due.

In other numbers, four of the top fiction books were reviewed for one outlet or another by yours truly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment