Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

This is Why You Need to BUY BOOKS As Holiday Presents

The industry, like many others, is in trouble. Serious trouble. The best thing you can do to to help is use your shrinking pile o' $ to buy books for others and yourself.

On the writing side...that proposal you were working on for a coffee table book on elephants of the world? Might want to shove it back in the drawer. The only people getting book deals these days are Laura Bush and Joe the freaking Plumber. Sigh.

On the other hand, it might be a good time to dust off your SCREENPLAY-writing skillz...movies were, like, the only industry that flourished during the depression, 'cause everyone was so, well, depressed and needed a cinematic escape.

h/t Wendy.

1 comment:

  1. I've purchased 23 books for Christmas so far.

    Good Lord, that's crazy about Joe the Plumber and Laura Bush. Not to mention $6 mil each for Tina Fey and Sarah Silverman. I kinda like them, but, wow. That's a ton of money for some funny stories.

    I suppose publishers make money in spite of these advances. But I really don't understand it.

    P.S. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete