Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

My review>
rating: 3 of 5 stars
I picked up the first Sookie Stackhouse novel in the middle of Moby Dick to give myself a beach-read break (no one should go on a beach vacation without paging through a single beach read, even if the major novel you are otherwise reading is about The Sea).


Anyway, although it started off slow, I got into Dead Until Dark quickly : it's funny, sassy, sexy, well-paced and mysterious. Like the show it's the basis for, True Blood, it's all very absurd, particularly the fact that the townspeople in Bon Temps aren't all locked up in psych wards with extreme PTSD, but I digress...with a much stronger, funnier, more self-realized heroine than Twilight but the same "I'm protecting YOu" no "I'm protecting You" dynamic as those teen novels (and lots of very explicit sex), it's got all the heat of the Edward-Bella relationship without the ick factor. Sookie, southern waitress in short-shorts who loves beauty products through she is, actually considers the gendered implications of her relationship with Bill and values her independence. And then she has hot vampire sex with him and gets bitten. WORD.

So if you're looking for a breezy summer read that doesn't kill brain cells, I say don't be afraid to give Sookie a spin ;)

Thanks to Molly for lending me the book!

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. I'm kind of obsessed with True Blood, the TV show. I mean, it's completely ridiculous... the way Stephen Moyers growls "Sookie" in his horrible Southern accent slays me every time ("Suck-eh!"). I think I'll try the book as well. I could use some beach reading. With sex.

    ReplyDelete