Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Catch-22

Catch-22 Catch-22 by Joseph Heller


My review
rating: 4 of 5 stars
Yay! I finally read Catch-22 after several abortive attempts and I can cross it off my list of Important books I must read.


Of course, it's as good as everyone says. Yossarian is the ultimate hippie-ethos hero: a rebel who loves life and pleasure and friendship, refuses to swallow propaganda, and hangs out in the buff. No wonder he joined Frodo as a counter-cultural poster boy. I was surprised by how borsht-belty the humor was. At times it was like watching a Marx Bros or Mel Brooks film. And then of course after Heller wears you down with his clever prose that imitates the bureaucracy he despises, he smacks you with a moment or two that reveal the Horror of War, with images it's hard to forget.

I definitely recommend it. And although you like me might take a few tries to get into it, it's worth the initial slog.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment