Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

rating: 4 of 5 stars. Score 1 for the Pulitzers!


Oscar Wao is the summa cum dork, the extreme end of all us dorks' worst secret fears about ourselves: slothful, virginal, living in a fantasy land of comics and movies. To make things worse, his is a dominican in working-class NJ, a community where even garden-variety dorks are a rarity unto themselves.

But what starts out as an exploration of a quirky protagonist's coming-of-age ends up being a family saga, going back generations to the Dominican Republic under the brutal Trujillo. The family, it seems, is cursed. It's a saga of violence, rebellion, resilience and unrequited love affairs, and I found it uplifting despite its march towards tragedy.


I adored the pacing and linguistic style Diaz brought to the tale, as well as the many many Lord of the Rings references. It's a rare read: quick, engaging, profound, and clever all at once.


View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment