Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

My First Semester @VCFA Reading List

Doing the American short story canon, with a minor emphasis on stories "of manners"

Short Story Cllections

  • James Joyce--Dubliners
  • O-Connor--A Good Man is Hard to Find
  • Isaac Babel--Red Cavalry
  • Raymond Carver--Where I’m Coming from
  • Tim O’Brien--The Things they Carried
  • Ernest Hemmingway --In Our Time
  • Edith Wharton --Old New York or Madame de Treymes
  • Richard Yates--Eleven kinds of loneliness
  • Lorrie Moore-Birds of America
  • Gish Jen--Who’s Irish?
    1. Alternatives/selected stories: Willa Cather, Alice Munro, Sherwood Anderson, Katherine Mansfield, New Yorker readings, etc
    VCFA reading lists are notorious for morphing until unrecognizable. How much will it change over the semester?

    Follow this blog. * Subscribe to posts
    Subscribe to comments * Follow me on Twitter * Subscribe by Email.

    2 comments:

    1. These are all pretty awesome. My suggestion: Read Sherwood Anderson. Particularly Winesburg Ohio.

      Also because I feel like saying it: Tobias Wolff short stories are awesome. It's like he teaches a master class in the technique of the short story.

      Either way I say read what you want and then if it's not on the list just make the argument to your teacher that it's relevant. English teachers can be pushovers if you show your passion.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I once talked an 80% paper into a 100% paper. Not even in the creepy way.

      ReplyDelete