Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reading, writing, life goals for 2010

It's a little late for this, but here goes.

In 2010, my HLP and I are going to be affirming our love in the most conventional, legal, Jane-Austen novel/Shakespeare Comedy-ending-ish of ways imaginable (but our celebration itself is going to be laid back and unconventional, although I believe it will involve eating, drinking, and being merry and inheriting a small parsonage on Colonel Brandon's estate ).

I'm hoping that that lovely occasion in my personal life will also be joined by some leaps in my literary life.

I really to take more steps to get my own fiction-writing in ship-shape. That involves revising, writing A LOT more, studying craft, and eventually submitting my work for the wide world's approval or disapproval. That also means being more honest and open with myself about the fact that this is a serious goal of mine, not just a hobby that I hope will work out.

And as for reading? I want to read the following books: Brave New World, Native Son, Barchester Towers, a bunch of short stories by Alice Munro and Lorrie Moore, at least two more irritating male mid-century American novels (Rabbit, Portnoy, etc) and two Shakespeare histories. I would really love to read more Latin American women-penned fiction, Allende, Cisneros, etc. I also have my Bronte challenge to look forward to, and the next Sookie Stackhouse book. And I'd like to read a Georgette Heyer regency romance for fun. And lastly, of course, a few more Pulitzer-winners from the last couple of decades as well as any new books that rock the literary world.

What are your 2010 goals, friends-of-EBC?

3 comments:

  1. I second your thoughts on taking writing more seriously. I'm gonna give that a try as well. Reading-wise I'd really like to make a dent in my TBR mountain, as well as read more books from foreign authors. Recently I also feel the urge to try on some Gaskell due to how much I enjoyed both Cranford mini-series. Good Luck to us both.
    PS A parsonage?! Why not aim higher? There's always Pemberly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congatrulations! on your upcoming wedding. I have to ask, of course, if you're leaning towards a regency styled dress. :D

    As for 2010 goals...I want to finish my goal of reading the Peter Whimsy novels (in order!!!), putting a bigger dent on the Palliser series and well, reading more Victorian lit. all around.
    For non-literary things, I really want to learn how to spin wool (Maud Montgomery got me onto this- domestic goddess writer that she was) and to make a terrarium. And also, to have many good times as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To My Dear and Loving Husband by Anne Bradstreet

    If ever two were one, then surely we.
    If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
    If ever wife was happy in a man,
    Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
    I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold,
    Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
    My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
    Nor ought but love from thee give recompense.
    Thy love is such I can in no way repay;
    The heavens reward thee manifold I pray.
    Then while we live, in love lets so persever,
    That when we live no more, we may live ever.

    ReplyDelete