Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Friday, May 07, 2010

The "Charade"

That Simon figured out.

["first" and "second" are SYLLABLES--mini-words making up the word which is the answer, the "third"]

Here are the clues we were given by Arnie Perlstein: the answer has three syllables; the name of the housemaid is the same as the name of one of the housemaids in Emma; the "second" word which itself is two syllables, refers to the kind of real world event many Janeites believe was never referred to by Austen in her novels, although it was mentioned in Northanger Abbey.

Any guesses?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    I wanted to talk to Simon and you after my talk, but I think you left while I was answering other JASNAite's questions.

    Your post reminds me of what I did not have time to say at my talk, which is that Jane Austen ALSO took the above charade from that same 1810 charades book which was her source for both the first charade, and also Garrick's Riddle, which are quoted in Chapter 9 of Emma.

    And note that she altered the last two lines, in order to key into her secret SECOND answer more thoroughly.

    Anyway, thanks for posting about my talk, I take it that you must have enjoyed it!

    Cheers, ARNIE
    sharpelvessociety.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete