Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Emma sought refuge in Jane



The Guardian on how Emma Thompson turned to Austen--specifically best-movie-of-all-time "Sense and Sensibility 1995"--to heal her disastrous breakup with Kenneth Branagh. Somehow I feel that Greg Wise didn't hurt either.

Anyway, author JoJo Moyes goes on to discuss the healing power of literature and mentions several heroines and anti-heroines from Jo March to Lizzy Bennet to Emma Bovary, who provide guides of how to get through tough times, and also how not to!

In a previous article on the topic, Thompson also reveals a funny tidbit about the set:

Thompson also recounted how Wise initially pursued Winslet during the filming of Sense and Sensibility, because a soothsayer had told him that he would meet his future wife on the set.

She said: "Of course I was still married, so he thought it was Winslet and courted her assiduously.

"I remember him taking her to Glastonbury, which she hated because it was all hippyish, because Greg's quite hippyish and he kept thinking 'this just isn't working, I think she's just got to be wrong'."



2 comments:

  1. I don't know why but I like the idea that both I and Kate Winslet are not fans of hippies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in this case Mr Willoughby turned out to be quite a good guy! Lucky Emma Thompson!

    ReplyDelete