Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Morning Poem: Autumn Edition

A little Verlaine:

Chanson D'Automne

Les sanglots longs
des violons
de l'automne
blessent mon coeur
d'une langueur
monotone.

Tout suffocant
et blême, quand
sonne l'heure.
je me souviens
des jours anciens,
et je pleure...

Et je m'en vais
au vent mauvais
qui m'emporte
de çà, de là,
pareil à la
feuille morte...

Literal translation

1.
The long sobs
of autumn's
violins
wound my heart
with a monotonous
languor.

Wholly breathless
and pale, When
the clock strikes,
I remember
the old days,
And I weep.

And I set off
in the ill wind
that carries me
here and there,
Like
a dead leaf.

Figurative

2.The agonized
Mourning, of Autumn’s
boughs on strings,
Fill me with a heartache
Dull and desolate.

All is smothered,
Chilled, and white
At the toll of passing time
I remember our brief love
And weep.

I will come, sweet memory
with the first fall wind
That will carry my frame
Like a dead leaf,
To your icy lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment