Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Heath.

I don't want to stray too far from any of my blog's twenty or so regular topics, but I felt like I had to say something about Heath Ledger, because I was so shocked and upset about his death, and because his performance in Brokeback may be the most significant, moving performance I have ever witnessed in my entire life if not THE best.

And also of course because his performances in (the highly under-appreciated) Casanova and Ten Things I Hate About You were just so adorable and made me love movies. And also because I may be one of the only Americans to ever have seen his weird but awesome Aussie-outlaw flick Ned Kelly. I was in Ireland hanging with a movie-buff friend and I was sick of Guinness.

He had so much talent, and was so clearly a good guy. It's just tragic.

But I'll let another brilliant actor's words stand in for my own.

As Daniel day Lewis said tonight at the SAG awards:

“In Brokeback Mountain, he was unique. He was perfect. The scene in the trailer at the end of the movie was as moving as anything we have ever seen.”

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I've seen Ned Kelly! I'm Canadian, though. And I saw it for the Orlando Bloom factor. Heh.

    I also love 10 Things and Brokeback. Hard not to - Heath was so engaging. As my sister said, it's too bad we won't get to see him mature as an actor. I was looking forward to the new Batman movie, but it'll be mighty creepy now.

    ReplyDelete