Dear Readers,


I now consider this blog to be my Juvenelia. Have fun perusing the archives, and find me at my new haunt, here.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Stop Trashing the 60s, and 60-somethings, Barack


So this week Barack Obama criticized Hillary Clinton for her age and, we might add, for being part of the age of aquarius:

"I think there's no doubt that we represent the kind of change that Sen. Clinton can't deliver on, and part of it is generational," Obama, 46, said on Fox News. "Sen. Clinton and others, they've been fighting some of the same fights since the '60s, and it makes it very difficult for them to bring the country together to get things done."


This "togetherness" strain of his is really begining to bug me. First of all, why all the hate towards the 60s? I guess everyone who knows me know that I have a particular fondess for that decade because of the possibility it presented for political engagement and also because it was, well, kinda groovy.
I'm just not so sure how much bipartisanship is going to win the day when the Republicans have turned into such fascist nutbags. I want someone who's going to fight for civil liberties and peace, and maybe having lived through the days of rage is a good credential.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:06 AM

    Hubert Humphrey ran against Richard Nixon in 1968. Humphrey supported the continuation of the war in Vietnam, while Nixon offered hopes for ending it.

    What does Hillary support? Who knows? But she cannot take a firm stand against our military plans in Iraq because opponents would rightly conclude she is weak on defense.

    Worse, she can't decide where to stand on the issue of driver's licenses for illegal aliens. If she's baffled by this issue it's sadly evident she is devoid of the character of leadership.

    In fact, she does lack leadership experience. There is no better way to spend a few drowsy years than hanging around the US Senate.

    Meanwhile, Rudy has the stuff, the presidential stuff that leaders need. Eight years running NYC is tougher than eight years in the White House.

    ReplyDelete